If you suffer from dry skin, welcome winter-chapped heels, elbows, and hands as a normal state of affairs from roughly September through May, and battle the effects of drying sun and sea salt in the summer, you’re in good company, along with 98% of the population.
Shea butter is a 100% natural ingredient that is regularly recommended by dermatologists, aestheticians, and cosmetologists alike to help heal eczema, psoriasis, as well as to soothe normal dry skin, sunburn, and soften rough areas like the heels and elbows, and its healing properties have been known for centuries. Specifically in Africa where the Karite (or Shea) tree is indigenous, the natural fat extracted from the nut or seed has been used for generations to help protect the skin and hair from harsh elements including the sun.
Dogs’ skin is also not immune to the effects of environmental stressors, and many breeds are also naturally prone to skin problems including:
- Irritated, red skin
- Itchy skin
- Red bumps
- Dry skin
Dogs often make skin problems worse by scratching, biting, and licking irritated areas, as well as possibly picking up fleas and ticks from romping outdoors, and incurring the damaging effects of sun, wind, and saltwater (if you live near the ocean and have a water-loving dog).
The same soothing properties of shea butter that work wonders for human skin also can prevent as well as heal irritation in dogs’ problem skin. Shea butter soothes, softens, and hydrates skin. In addition, shea butter is a natural sun protectant and moisturizes and conditions the fur to maintain and boost shine.
We are thrilled to announce a new addition to our earthbath family: the Santa Cruz, California based boutique line of premium skin and coat care products, SheaPet. Just like earthbath products, SheaPet products contain only all-natural botanicals, and are produced in an environmentally conscious manner with no animal testing. SheaPet also uses only fair trade organic shea butter and the SheaPet brand of premium skin and coat care products creates the perfect complement to earthbath pH-balanced products for sensitive pet skin.
SheaPet has a whole line of deliciously scented and specialized products including:
- Shea Butter Shampoo with Oatmeal & Lanolin (a super rich conditioning shampoo, also great for frequent use)
- Sulfate-Free Shea Butter Shampoo with Avocado (especially for dogs with sensitive or allergy-prone skin; particularly perfect for puppies!)
- Green Tea & Sea Kelp Shampoo (extra-rich shampoo pumped full of skin-soothing sea kelp with hints of lavender and mint)
- Shea Butter Conditioner with Allantoin (for extra-silky, shiny and well-moisturized coats)
- Skin Repair and Dander Care Spray (a super-gentle herbal formula that is perfect to soothe problem areas including eczema, hot spots, dandruff and dry skin using an easy spot-treatment spray; there’s also a formulation for cats)
- Herbal Moisturizing Treatment With Shea Butter and Tea Tree Oil Spray (a great leave-on skin tonic and conditioner for dogs)
- Treatment Balm with Shea Butter and Aloe (a rich body butter with shea and aloe especially for problem areas. Safe to ingest – dogs and cats may lick it. By the way, we won’t tell if you use it on yourself, this shea butter balm is so decadent and soothes human “problem areas” too!!)
SheaPet buys the shea butter used in its products from the Northern Uganda Shea Processors Association, a cooperative run by women in rural Uganda. Shea butter, long valued for its therapeutic properties as a moisturizer, is harvested, pressed and sold at fair trade prices allowing these women to invest in their future and that of their families.
Our CEO and founder, Paul Armstrong, says: “I really like that the sales of SheaPet products help sustain and support fair trade which in turn dramatically increases the household income of the women in NUSPA. Sales of these products truly benefit both pets and people.” Do as Paul does, and try some SheaPet or earthbath shampoo and conditioner next time you shower! You just might be surprised with the results and never spend money on “human” hair care again… the ingredients in these products are so amazing!