Although we humans look forward to the edible and sweet-smelling treats that usually come on and around Valentine’s Day, all of those flowers, perfumes, chocolates and candy hearts can be dangerous, and even fatal, to our pets.
1. Beware the flowers, especially lilies. All lily flowers are extremely toxic to cats and will cause fatal kidney failure. Even the smallest nibble of any part of the lily plant can be deadly to felines. The best thing to do if you have cats is to ensure that no flower arrangements contain lilies, and if they do, remove them before they have a chance to wilt and drop petals, which cats can easily get into and chew on. If you think your cat has been exposed to any part of the lily plant, a trip to the vet ASAP is imperative.
2. Get rid of those thorns! If your florist doesn’t de-thorn your bouquet of roses, make sure the quintessential symbol of Valentine’s Day is pet-friendly. Biting, chewing or stepping on thorns cause trauma and can lead to infection.
3. Keep the chocolates as a sweet treat for yourself and your honey only! Although most of us know that chocolate is toxic to dogs, the level of toxicity depends on the kind of chocolate (milk chocolate, dark chocolate, semi-sweet, or Baker’s) and whether it is pure (e.g., in bar or truffle form), or mixed into pastry like cake or cookies. Generally, the darker and more solid it is, the more dangerous it is for your dog. If you’re concerned that your dog ingested chocolate, call animal poison control immediately because they can walk you through an assessment of what kind of chocolate it was, how much was eaten, and the size of your dog, how worried you should be. Generally, cats don’t like chocolate so they wouldn’t eat it even if it was laying around; however, if you suspect that your cat developed a sweet tooth and took it out on your Godiva, call poison control.
4. Sugar-free foods are also toxic to dogs. While you may think you’re doing your own health a favor by skipping the sugar, artificial sweeteners like Xylitol, found in many types of sugar-free candies and baked goods, are toxic to dogs and can cause liver failure. Better to be safe than sorry and keep all sugar-free foods out of your pet’s reach.
5. Ribbons and string don’t make good pet toys. This tip goes for any holiday in which bows, ribbons, and string accompany gifts. Throw it all out, immediately, before Fluffy gets a hold of it! Cats LOVE to play with ribbons and string, and many times actually end up ingesting it which can be very dangerous and even fatal if it gets twisted up in the intestines.
6. Finish your wine, already! While Valentine’s Day is a wonderful excuse to break out the bubbly, don’t assume that your very curious cat or dog will leave it alone, or worse, assume that just a taste might be amusing for them as well. Even small amounts of alcohol can be very harmful to pets, states the ASCPA. Alcoholic drinks or foods and products containing alcohol (including perfumes and colognes) can cause “vomiting, diarrhea, decreased coordination, central nervous system depression, difficulty breathing, tremors, abnormal blood acidity, coma and even death.”
7. Blow out the candles. Obviously, open flames are dangerous. Never leave your pet(s) alone with lit candles or a wood-burning stove or fireplace. Candles can get knocked over, curious cats’ whiskers (or worse) can become singed, and worse-case scenario, you don’t want your Valentine’s Day to end with a visit from the fire department!
Should your pet get into mischief on Valentine’s Day, the ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center is available 24 hours a day, every day of the year at (888) 426-4435. (A $65 consultation fee may apply.)
Source: PEOPLEPets.com.casino aussie